Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Anwar meets the press
Arfa'eza A Aziz
Dec 28, 05 3:06pm, Malaysiakini

Former deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim was clearly excited when he saw some
30 members of the press awaiting his press conference after delivering a
special speech to the delegates of Parti Keadilan Rakyat national
congress last Friday.

"I've not done this for a very long time. I've missed this," he quipped
before fielding questions from the journalists.

Question: You spoke that you will not be rejoining Umno. That question has
dogged you for a very long time. Can you say for certain that you will not
be rejoining Umno?

Anwar: There are two issues which I had to clarify. Many of my friends in
Umno at the supreme council level and heads of divisions, who kept very
much in touch with me ... have appealed that I consider (rejoining Umno).
And I have never at any time refused or deny such rare opportunities to
have these exchanges (with them).

So that will go on, I will not totally preclude that. But when they appeal
specifically ... that I reconsider my decision and that I show my interest
to rejoin Umno, then I would give my reasons why this is not a plausible
idea... because I think the Umno leadership and the party has not shown
any interest to the reform agenda.

Even some of the pronouncement by Prime Minister Abdullah (Ahmad Badawi)
on corruption - I may be critical on the effectiveness of its
implementation - it has never been endorsed by the Umno leadership. So I
think there is a serious flaw to this. I've made it categorically clear
(to them) that I have no interest in rejoining Umno.

Why not just end of these exchanges (with Umno) which seemed to driving
all these rumours? Why not tell Umno that I'm not going to talk anymore
or negotiate?

The negotiations should not be precluded because they are not confined to
my membership in Umno. It is also an avenue for them to air their
frustrations and grievances against the policies (of the party) and the
utter disgust with the prevailing condition.

They need my support or probably my leadership role to try and change from
within. So they need to express their views, and I don't think I should
preclude that. But I made it very clear, consistently, publicly and also
in private (that I will not join Umno).

So it's them wanting you to join Umno?

It would seemed so... because it never came from me. I have never
indicated to anyone - in private or openly - that I was interested. I am
aware that it (the rumours) has caused some hysterical reactions from a
few but very corrupt leaders who are so scared of the possibility of me
rejoining. It's interesting - the more corrupt the leaders are, the more
scared they are (smiles).

From the answers you gave on why you don't want to rejoin Umno, can we
presume that you may consider rejoining when the party reforms itself?

No. But I must be fair in my views and assessments. I have been the No 2
leader in Umno. I've worked very hard to strengthen the party. I don't
want sound so arrogant as to sound that there is no Umno leader -
particularly at the divisional level, at the grassroots level - who are
quite genuine in their interest (to reform the party). So that is why my
answer is always... not leave it open (to rejoin Umno)... but encourage
them to make the necessary reforms.

But from my understanding, based on my past experience with the present
leaders, it does not seem that any reform ... is going to take place.

You said that you are going to be more visible (in Malaysia) from January
next year onwards. Is that your strategy now?

I am sure it is quite obvious. I cannot be travelling as frequently as I
am now, what with me teaching in Oxford University (in United Kingdom)
and Georgetown University (in United States), speaking engagements all
over the world, and at the same time overseeing the progress of the
party.

I am, of course, appreciative of (PKR president and wife) (Wan) Azizah
(Wan Ismail), (party deputy head) (Syed) Husin (Ali), (party Youth chief)
Ezam (Mohd Nor) and (party Women's chief) Fuziah (Salleh) because they all
are doing their work. But to do justice to the party reform agenda, I need
to engage not only with the Keadilan leaders but also the others - PAS,
DAP and other civil society groups. That requires more attention and
time.

People ask me why do I have to operate from outside (overseas). I said
because I can't get a job here. As you know, the system here is very
repressive - no possibility of getting work here or part-time lecturing
in any of the universities in this country. Unless some of the mainstream
papers would allow me to write op-ed (opinion-editorial) pieces weekly
then I may reconsider (laughs) ... but really it's very difficult... I
have to take care of my children and their education... so I have to
function from overseas.

With your past experience, surely you have accumulated enough wealth for
you to lead a normal life here... so there's really no reason for you go
overseas, is there? Why are you delaying your return?

I have six children and you can check my income and accumulated wealth...
it is open to scrutiny. I challenge the government to produce a full
report on this subject. This is not something new. You can check my wife,
my children, my family in Malaysia or overseas in detail.

When you do that you will find out that I have problems to make ends meet.
Without a steady job, my only revenue is my wife's allowances as a member
of parliament. That would not be sufficient for me, Azizah and the
(party) secretariat.

Wouldn't the party be able to support you?

That's another issue. When I was in prison there were a lot of friends who
were helping with money, buying food. I appreciate their help and
sacrifices but when I was released, I have decided I don't want that
anymore. If you want to give, give to the party or the needy. I fought
for six years, enough is enough.

It is my turn to do a bit more. People do consult me ... the companies
that had sought my views, it is adequate for my (personal) expenses.

It sounds like a distorted logic. For six years they work hard to get you
out, shouldn't you be here to support them rather than, as you said, go
overseas.

Let me clarify this... this is not only for my personal needs. One job as
a professor is enough for my personal needs. But I want to strengthen the
(party) secretariat. I want to make sure that our resources is a bit more
comfortable compared to the past as the party was in serious debts.

I spend a lot of time for the party. Mind you, I may be based in
Washington but I do spend a lot of time here too. I spent at least a week
in a month here. Now two weeks and then it's going to be three weeks in a
month... to my mind, this is adequate because we have a very efficient
set of leaders.

You spoke about getting foreign observers to monitor the elections.

I have got clear commitments from some governments, some international
organisations, that would pursue this agenda, which is consistent,
because it is not only directed at Malaysia as Indonesia has it -
virtually all elections conducted (there) have free and independent
monitoring.

Why is Malaysian government so scared to allow international observers to
monitor (elections)? Is there something to hide?

In India, which we consider far more backward with larger population, it
could conduct fair and free elections. Why can't we do it? Look at
Indonesia, it could do it - the allegations there were never to the
extent of that we are encountering in our elections. It's time for us to
move on and be mature.

But how are you going to get the international observers here when it
needs the government's approval first?

Yes, but they must have a really good reason (to reject). Unless they can
be completely transparent and there are no serious allegations (of
election fraud). But this is not so here. From the reports of Pengkalan
Pasir (by-elections), you have reports of phantom voters where the
deceased actually voted. This is especially serious because these phantom
voters can determine the difference in terms of majority. They (the
government and Election Commission) got a lot to answer to.

So can we expect international observers in the 2008 general elections?

Insya'Allah (God willing), by 2008 I am certain that we could have an
international team to observe the elections. I would advise the
government to better accept it early because the international community
pressure will come.

Is it an organisation such as the United Nations?

Both multilateral and regional organisations, civil societies groups and
governments of Muslim countries, which have given their support.

Is your libel suit (against Dr Mahathir Mohamad coming up soon?

Yes, I have given instructions to the lawyers and I have not given new
instructions to the contrary. I asked the lawyers why it was taking such
a long time and they told me that they are collecting evidence and
materials because this is going to a major suit and we know the courts -
we have a lot of experience with the court, the harassment and the
police, etc. And we know that there is huge fund at the disposal of Dr
Mahathir ... hundreds of millions at his disposal and so we don't want to
take it lightly.

What we have done is to gather enough facts and evidence on the massive
corruption, the hundreds of millions siphoned out - this is not only the
AP (Approved Permit) issue - evidence from the court and witnesses on how
they were harassed, tortured; bringing in the police commission report...
But I have given them a lot of incriminating evidence and this is going
to an interesting case.

Not withstanding my views on judiciary, I'm not terribly positive of the
outcome. That does not matter. But what I want to do is that since I have
been challenged, I want to make sure all the relevant evidence to show and
prove that there was a clear conspiracy, fabrication of evidence and that
Dr Mahathir was personally involved in giving directions and the
selection of the judges.

It is very important to make this very clear. When I was released, I made
unreserved statement that I have no malice. I have forgiven all who were
involved. Malaysians are tired to pursue the Anwar-Mahathir case and the
alleged sexual crimes and the hypocrisy of so-called clean, moral
leaders.

After we won the case against (former IGP) Rahim Noor... after the High
Court came out with the judgment to clear me from all allegations in 50
Reasons (Why Anwar Cannot Become Prime Minister) book, I decided not to
pursue against Dr Mahathir.

So I appeal to everyone, particularly to the media, to get the record
straight. When he (Mahathir) decided to repeat the allegations, thinking
he can do this with impunity - now these people that had amassed so much
wealth, hundred millions of dollars... I have records of that. Now I have
forgiven (the conspirators) but they continue with impunity... because
they know the system is with them... the police, the judiciary, the
Attorney-General's Chambers and the government...

You can be corrupt, you can take billions of dollars from the people and
go on talking about justice for Saddam (Hussein). I have no choice but to
file the suit. Mind you, it's going to be a major battle. I have been
criticised for prolonging the matter. I said, yes, I have forgiven but he
repeats (the allegations). Is that fair to me?

How is your discussions with PAS and DAP?

The discussions with the parties are done separately. My main intention is
to seek solidarity in our agenda. The question of seats takes a back seat.
We have to be absolutely clear that we have an agenda for the people's
development.

We must be confident enough to say that this is an agenda for all races
and we are here to defend the constitutional guarantees, the issues on
freedom of expression, religions and distributing justice. There should
be no ambiguity on this agenda.

----------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail has been sent via JARING webmail at http://www.jaring.my

No comments: