Wednesday, August 10, 2005

[Malaysia] No Cabinet In The Kitchen!

Khairy: I'm not in Pak Lah's kitchen cabinet
Beh Lih Yi, Malaysiakini, Jul 26, 2005

Khairy Jamaluddin has come out in defence against allegations on his political, professional and personal life in an interview published by online daily Agendadaily yesterday. He denied that he was the political mastermind in the prime minister’s kitchen cabinet and described as ‘senseless’ the accusation that he was the most powerful 29-year-old in the country.
Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s son-in-law claimed that he was tied up with his work in the private sector and as Umno Youth deputy chief. “Where do I find the time to plan or do whatever things that people said I have been. It is impossible. I only see the prime minister maybe just twice a month, and that is during functions (majlis) or family dinner. “I wouldn’t want to raise issues related to politics in that context, it is enough that I could see him twice a month. I wouldn’t want to waste my opportunity to see him talking issues that are not related to the family,” explained Khairy, who is married to Abdullah's only daughter, Nori. On the negative perception against him, he said it was inevitable that in politics, there would be a “bogeyman” to be attacked or to be blamed when something goes wrong. “Unfortunately, I am this person (bogeyman) in Pak Lah’s administration,” he said.
Khairy stressed in the interview that “my life goes on without seeing Pak Lah”. “If it is true that I want to be in control, I would have requested to stay in the PM’s office and you could see me there everyday. But that is not the case. If there is no official matter, I wouldn’t go to the premier’s office at all,” he said.
Vulnerable Umno friends
After resigning as the deputy principal private secretary II to the prime minister, the Oxbridge graduate joined boutique financial services group ECM Libra Bhd - belonging to close friend and New Straits Times group editor-in-chief Kalimullah Hassan - last August as its corporate advisory services director. Khairy also dismissed a suggestion that he has recommended his close friends like Umno treasurer Abdul Azim Mohd Zabidi and Umno youth leader Norza Zakaria to key political posts. Abdul Azim had been warned by the party’s disciplinary board over money politics previously but was appointed treasurer last October by the Umno supreme council.
To support his argument, Khairy said he was vulnerable when his close friend Salim Shariff, the political secretary of suspended vice-president Isa Samad was recently suspended for three years together with Isa for involvement in money politics.“I had written a recommendation letter to support Salim for the job but when he was suspended by the board, I couldn’t do anything. If I can arrange for everything in this country, it is impossible I wouldn’t be able to help my friend in such a small matter,” he said. He was also asked whether he was against former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad when he was a student as he was said to have publicly asked Mahathir to step down during the latter’s public address in London in 1999.
Did not question
Mahathir Khairy confirmed that he had attended the talk but denied he had posed the question to Mahathir, which was during the height of the reformasi after the sacking of ex-deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim. “I was late that day and I had to sit at another hall with the CCTV. How could I pose the question to him when I was at another hall?” he said, adding that it was another Malaysian student from Kedah who asked the question. The Umno Youth deputy chief also said he has never been supportive of Anwar.
He also disagreed with the views that he shared similarities with Anwar as they were both charismatic and enjoyed great popularity when they first joined Umno. “I am genuine, (but) Anwar is artificial. Among others reasons that I don’t like Anwar is because he likes to quote from books such as Shakespeare’s, but I understand he has never read those books.
“Anwar is not a serious politician, he is only masked in seriousness. I think other Umno politicians are more sincere. For me, the Anwar world is finished in Umno,” Khairy added. He also described Abdullah’s relationship with the Deputy Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak as “very good”.
Personal life
Khairy also responded to questions surrounding his personal life, such as how he has turned into a millionaire, his relationship with Anwar’s eldest daughter Nurul Izzah (left) and the alleged incident that he was caught for close proximity with a Burmese lady recently. “I am still staying at Pantai Hill Park, the same address when I was single five years ago. My wife (Nori Abdullah) is the premier’s daughter but we stay there with three cats, no children. I drive the same and only car I have, the Volvo NBK 10, by paying the instalment of RM2,000 per month,” he said, but did not directly respond on the millionaire claim.

He denied he had tried to woo Nurul Izzah in the past saying that they had met only once. On his alleged sexual tryst with a Burmese woman, he claimed the allegation was not supported by any evidence. “No proof, not smart enough to make up the story. Show me the police and religious authorities’ files that I did it, and I will resign,” Khairy challenged.

No comments: