Saturday, June 24, 2006

Dr M: Why didn't they resign back then?

Dr M: Why didn't they resign back then?
Beh Lih Yi and Wong Yeen Fern
Jun 9, 06 9:14pm

Former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad today said that ministers who disagreed with him during his tenure should have voiced their opposition and resigned then.

“They (the ministers) are saying it’s a collective responsibility (pertaining to the decisions made by the current administration). So it means the cabinet reversed the very decision they agreed to before.

“Now, (when) they have a new leader, they disagree. If they did not agree before, tell me and resign but they did not,” he told a packed press conference in Kuala Lumpur.

Mahathir, who has fired a volley of criticism against his successor Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, stressed that his questions are not being addressed.

“Is it because they have no answers? Is that why they are trying to demonise me and make me appear very bad?” he asked.

“Those who disagree with me (for speaking out) say ‘Dr Mahathir has no right to talk’, ‘go to sleep’ (pergi tidur lah) and ‘don’t disturb others’ (jangan kacau orang) - that’s all they keep saying,” he added.

Mahathir said he felt slighted when the people who supported the mega-projects under his leadership are now against them.

However, the former premier said he controlled himself and refrained from making any remarks but ‘bowing’ to Singapore was the final straw.

“When we bowed to Singapore (over the half bridge issue), I was ashamed. Why so afraid of Singapore?” he said.

Asked if he was ‘happy’ with Abdullah’s response to his criticism, Mahathir replied: “I’m very happy with all the comments. He said it is my right to speak, very good, thank you very much. So, I am now speaking to you because he said I have the right to speak, but some say I have no right.”

When pointed out that Abdullah has not answered any of his questions, the former premier said: “Because other people can answer the questions, he wants to keep quiet.”

Mahathir said he will mention things which he felt are wrong and added that judging from the way ministers have been rallied into supporting everything the prime minister says, there is not much room for debate in the cabinet.

‘I want answers’

The 82-year-old former premier vowed to keep pushing for answers over the irregularities in Approved Permits, the management of Proton, the selling of Italian motorcycle manufacturer Augusta by Proton and the scrapped half-bridge issue.

Asked to comment on the remarks made by his former political nemesis Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah that Umno could see a split because of Mahathir’s criticism, the former premier responded with a tinge of sarcasm.

“I think Tengku Razaleigh is competent to make such a remark because once upon a time (1987) he challenged me (for the Umno presidency). When he lost, he formed a new party (Semangat 46) and split the party (Umno).

“So he knows about this, that’s why he is advising me now not to do that just like (Mahathir’s former deputy) Musa Hitam because he did not follow (Umno’s) tradition and he made that mistake. So now he wants to warn me not to make the mistake,” he added.

According to Mahathir, the trend in the country today is to keep mouths shut.

“So I have to open my mouth, other people would also like to open their mouths, but ... tak apalah, saya jadi mangsa sikit (it’s alright, I’ll become the victim),” he said.

Mahathir reiterated that he needed answers and it did not matter who provided them.

“I am interested in knowing why Augusta was sold (by Proton) to a euro 2 company, why you (Proton) sack a CEO who has been managing well and made the company profitable as well as why is the bridge not being built when work has already started,” he said.

No problems with PM

The former premier stressed that he is not arguing with his handpicked successor but merely disagrees with some of the decisions made.

“I don’t have a problem with the government but I have problems with these things (decisions) that are made, takkan sampai cannot tanya (has it come to a point that you cannot even ask),” he said.






He also dismissed the need for a mediator as offered by Perlis Menteri Besar Shahidan Kassim.

As for the opposition telling him to retire gracefully, Mahathir replied: “I never follow what the opposition says.”

On Information Minister Zainuddin Maidin’s remark that Mahathir is being influenced by outsiders, he said: “A lot of people talk lah, I tak berani nak cakap (I’m afraid to talk).”

Responding to another question, Mahathir said he met with Abdullah briefly in Tokyo recently.

Asked if he posed his questions directly to the prime minister during that meeting, Mahathir replied: “No, we had only 10 minutes, he was telling me a lot of things and I was listening.”

Mahathir was also sarcastic about the overwhelming media presence this evening, saying "they can't publish anyway".

The former premier has previously accused the current administration of imposing a media blackout on his views.

However, his scathing remarks made it to the front-pages of all major dailies yesterday, prompting a wave of criticism and show of support for Abdullah.

No comments: